Step 1 Gather Supplies
Ready to make the best Scrabble tile pendant possible? This easy tutorial will show you how to make your own custom necklace out of a Scrabble® tile.
It will take about 1 hour of work, but there is time needed to let the pendant dry and cure.
Ready to start?
First you'll need to gather your supplies. You will need:
- Scrabble® game piece
- Decorative paper
- Paint brush
- Scissors or a craft knife
- Small file (optional)
- Liquid glue/decoupage medium (like Mod Podge)
- Dimensional Glaze (Diamond Glaze or similar)
- Strong glue to attach bail (like E600 or superglue)
- Glue-on bail
- Necklace or chain
Step 2 Select the design and print it out
Apply a small amount of your decoupage medium/glue to the blank side of the scrabble tile. Carefully glue your paper to the tile and press gently to remove any bubbles.
Step 3 Trim the edges
Turn the scrabble® piece over and carefully trim away the excess. Turn the piece back over and smooth out the edges with your fingers if there are any raised areas as a result of the trimming.
Step 4 File the edges
Very gently file the edges of the paper to make sure they are in line with the wood scrabble piece. Be careful not to file the wood itself.
Step 5 Protect the design
Using your paint brush, apply a thin layer of mod podge to the front of your tile making sure to cover the entire thing. Then Grab your dimensional glaze and apply a thin layer to the top of your tile. Diamond Glaze is a popular dimensional glaze brand, and there are many similar products on the market. It's a matter of preference. I personally like DG3 over the original Diamond Glaze since it spreads easier and produces fewer bubbles. Experiment to find a brand you like.
Step 6 Let it dry
Set your tile aside on a level surface where it can remain undisturbed for several hours. Drying time will depend on the thickness of your glaze and the humidity in your area, so be patient!
When it's all dry, congratulations - you know how to make perfect scrabble tile pendants.
Don't touch the protection on the top before it is dry - it can leave fingerprints.
- Experiment with several types of designs to see what you like the best.
- You can attach a necklace bail to the back for hang it however you'd like.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades